If you're interested in pictures of my adventures, scroll to the very bottom of the page and enjoy the slideshow! I will update the slide show as regularly as my schedule allows, so you may see new photos or repeats depending upon when you view it! There is also a "View All" option which will take you to my PhotoBucket account. There you can view pictures up close and see all the photos at once! Feel free to send me questions on any that spark your curiosity!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Beginning of My Travels

Well! I'm excited to say I have arrived in the Dominican Republic and am already fascinated by it. I feel as if it's a place I've never lived in, yet could have lived in all my life at the same time. Still, I'd like to record my journey here and the happenings of my first day exploring:                                                           

Waking up around 2 a.m. yesterday morning, I was sleepily excited. As I strapped on my watch, slipped into my plain gray T-shirt, and rolled up my cargo pants, I found myself glancing at the mirror: I finally looked the part. For the past year, many a conversation has started or ended with, "...when I'm in the DR...". Today was it: I was off to that adventure that had been spoken of for so long.           

After a nap on the way up, I was awoken by my parents with, "Hannah! We're at the airport." After saying our goodbyes, I headed to my gate with my Mitch. Enjoying our last moments together for awhile, I'll admit part of me was sad to leave behind my life in the US. It's strange to think of all of my friends wandering down the mall talking to one another while I am in a whole different country. All the same, I was excited to get to Miami to meet my fellow 12 Encuentro participants.

Arriving in Miami, I could almost taste the humidity. Coming from the dry oven that envelopes Southern Colorado, I knew the heat and moisture would take some getting used to. Walking off the plane, I was greeted by the loud salsa music of a local band playing in the airport followed by Aerosmith's "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing." Musically, it was as if my two worlds were already colliding- the deep, intonations of the Spanish salsa music mixing with a classic American band playing over the airport speakers.

Traveling to my gate, I quickly was greeted by a few of the others in my Encuentro group. Sharing lunch and laughs, we all slowly trickled in, anxious for the flight that would take us to our final destination: Santiago. Delayed by lightening and then mechanical problems, it took awhile before we were off to that which we had spoken of all day. Nonetheless, it was clear we were all anticipating what it would be like when we got off the plane.

On the plane, there was a small Dominican boy in front of me on his mother's lap. He was around the age of four. As we sat on the runway, he quickly became curious as to who I was and an intense game of Peek-a-Boo ensued, to both his and my own delight. Looking into his eyes, I knew I was off to something great, and something I have felt a calling toward for my entire life.

For part of the flight, I drifted in and out of a restless sleep, occasionally peering out of the window at the expanse of ocean beneath me. As the flight attendant spoke in Spanish quickly over the speaker, I rushed to fill out papers for immigrations and customs. With my eyes racing back and forth from the papers to the lights of the island, I scribbled my name as we began to glide down to Santiago. Various bursts of neon and flashing lights attracted my gaze until before I knew it, we were on the ground.

After purchasing my $10 tourist card and passing through immigration and customs, I was relieved to find my baggage and meet the women who essentially run the Encuentro program here: Karie and Mary. Piling onto the ILAC bus after loading our luggage with the help of Alfe, who is our transportation director, I began to notice the minimal traffic rules of the streets. The roads were narrow, two-laned, and paved. Pedestrians do not have the right of way and I was startled a bit to see Elfi speed past them, as they crowded the curbs.

The architecture here is much different. At first, my American mind was somewhat reminded of the Tiki-room at Disneyland, which my father would laugh to hear. But with thatched roofs on many of the buildings, tall pillars supporting brightly colored walls, and open windows all around, I could feel myself noticing how different my life will be here.


Much to our delight, upon our arrival at ILAC, we were served dinner. I tried papayas for the first time! Yum! Afterwords, we unpacked into the dorm-like rooms we will stay in at our time at ILAC this semester. The rooms are furnished simply, but hold a beauty all their own. With open ceilings and windows overlooking the lush greenery that covers this country, I felt our room paralleled the challenge ahead of me: to open myself to a vulnerability with the Dominican people, to learn their way of life, to give thanks for their hospitality, and to grow as a person just like the tall palm trees that dot our landscape.


Crawling into my bed and carefully tucking in my bright blue bednet around my mattress, I felt a sense of peace. I was finally here: This was the beginning of a change in me. As I fell asleep to the race of motorcycles, the beating of drums from a local discoteca, and the hum of insects, I couldn't help but feel this is exactly where I belonged.

Then came the roosters.

Awakening before light touched the sky, I heard several roosters in the distance. So far, I feel the Dominican streets are constantly bustling. There is always movement, traffic, some kind of ebb and flow of noise and people and life. From the time I laid down to sleep, to the time I awoke to the crow of the cocks, there were different noises. Yet, I almost feel noise can't rightly describe the rustlings, because they weren't tiresome or annoying. They are simply a part of the culture, a beat to which I feel I'll come to define in my heart as a part of the life here.

With no electricity (because the government here turns it off whenever they please), I found that in getting ready, my flashlight was bound to be my new best friend. Taking a quick shower, and changing into another set of plain clothes, I headed downstairs for breakfast, which is served by the ILAC staff everyday at 8 a.m.  They ring a bell, which alerts us that the food is ready. The women who work in the kitchen are lovely. With smiles signaling us to eat, one introduced herself to us remarking in Spanish, "I'm here to make sure you leave a little fatter."

The food here is great! I have made it a goal to try everything, so I've left nothing untouched (although I hope this does not lead me to give truth to the remark of the woman above). Our meals have consisted of fresh fruits, chicken, other meats, rice, beans, and breads.

After breakfast, we toured ILAC. Behind the facility lies a beautiful garden, a track, and a compost shack. This has led me to believe the Dominicans here pursue a very sustainable lifestyle, which is awesome. It's hard to describe the charm of the ILAC center- honestly it is likely something that just has to be experienced. With surrounding casitas, banana trees everywhere, and sangre de christo flowers among the greenery, there is beauty all around.

Down the street, we learned how to navigate a bit around the neighborhood. We traveled to the local store where we'll be able to buy various cleaning items or food. We also traded our dollars for pesos at an exchange place and saw the pharmacy. What interested me most on our trip out was the traffic on the streets. Motorcycles and scooters are very popular. A lot of people drive with van doors open with passengers hanging out, who are dropped off at various stops. These are the guagua, which is the bus transport that will take us to Santiago later today. There was even a man with a truck full of pigs, toppling over each other, likely on their way to be marketed. 

When our tour ended, we headed to a Spanish mass. The ILAC staff as well as members of the community participate in the mass, which is held in an open church. Everything is open, which I believe brings even more beauty to the country. A sort of understanding that nature is part of life seems to be present in everyday life. Mass was shared with large moths the size of my hand, some bees, and little lizards that live all over the property. As I noticed these creatures, I found myself thinking that these would cause a distraction in somewhere like St. John's back home. But here, they go unnoticed, disappearing and reappearing to the psalms and songs of the Spanish choir in the corner.

Following mass, we took a few group pictures and enjoyed lunch, which brings me to present time. We have had a siesta for the past couple of hours, and leave soon to people-watch in Santiago and visit the Capitol. Later tonight we have meetings on expectations of the program and that type of thing. Adios for now!



















                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment

DR Photos